Website Traffic

Gigantic bubbles boiling on the surface of star Betelgeuse


Giant star Betelgeuse shed the equivalent mass of the Earth every year but how do it does is not properly understood. Using state of the art imaging techniques, astronomers have revealed a vast plume of gas and gigantic bubbles boiling on the surface of star Betelgeuse. The new technique will provide clues to how they shed the mass?


The images show that the whole outer shell of the star is not shedding material evenly in all directions, which may be due to either large scale gas motions caused by heating, or because of the star's rotation. Betelgeuse's atmosphere is bouncing vigorously up and down in bubbles that are as large as the supergiant star itself, and could be responsible for the ejection of the massive plume into space.


Betelgeuse is the nearest star to Earth.

Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Comments

5 Responses to “Gigantic bubbles boiling on the surface of star Betelgeuse”

Unknown said...
July 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Very nice blog, thanks for visiting AniMeals!

Rev Deb said...
July 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Hi Shabnam

First I would like to thank you for your comment on my gardens. I appreciate your interest:) I have been trying to get out to work on them, but we have been getting a lot of rain. Good for the flowers bad for me :)

As for your blog - Awesome!!! Truly spectacular! I admire your knowledge of astronomy and the pictures are breathtaking.

I have written messages from the bible about certain things concerning lightening,atoms,the ocean... Here is the link if you would like to check them out. Feel free to leave comments. I appreciate them..

I have added you to my friends and would like very much to keep in touch. Have a wonderful day!

Be Blessed
Rev Deb

neo said...
July 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Thanx 4 visiting my blog..
Great blog! I love astronomy :D

Dr. Fusion said...
August 3, 2009 at 4:32 AM

wow!!! Cool picture. This blog is really awesome. Thanks for all the information. I love astronomy!
Best wishes, Fred

Anonymous said...
November 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM

It is certainly interesting for me to read the article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails